Home  -  See  -  Fortress of São Tiago da Barra

Fortress of São Tiago da Barra

Overview

The Fortress of São Tiago da Barra (Pousada De Sao Tiago Macau) was built in the 17th century as Macau’s first line of defence for its centre. It was the only fort built directly under the order of the King of Portugal and was under Lisbon’s directly jurisdiction (and not the Governor of Macau).

While the Fortress served the Macanese government for centuries, it has since been redesigned into a hotel. However, its historical significance remains, thanks in part to its cathedral and other cultural artefacts that have been exceptionally well preserved.

For some, visits to the fortress can include a stay at the 5-star hotel, but those with little time can always enjoy the scenery over drinks at the bar. Visitors interested in Macanese history should also check out the nearby A-Ma Temple.  Come before March 31st though, as it is closing temporarily from then onward!

 

*********************************update*********************************

As of 31 March 2017, The Fortress of São Tiago da Barra is temporarily closed due to nearby construction work.

This page will be updated with more informaton as it is received.

*********************************update*********************************

Map

Contact Details

Pousada De Sao Tiago Macau, Avenida da Republica, Macau
(853) 2833 3000

24 hours

RELATED DESTINATIONS PICKED FOR YOU

Macau Fisherman’s Wharf

Macau Fisherman’s Wharf

On the coast of the Outer Harbour, Macau Fisherman’s Wharf is a themed leisure complex located 5 mi ...
Details
Chapel of Our Lady of Penha

Chapel of Our Lady of Penha

First built in 1622, the Chapel of Our Lady of Penha has since been renovated in 1935, returning it ...
Details
A-Ma Temple

A-Ma Temple

Situated on the western slope of Barra Hill, the A-Ma Temple is a historical site worshiping A-Ma ( ...
Details

Enjoy a wide range of member benefits!

Languages